- This event has passed.
Hunger Action Month
September 1 - September 30
Why is Hunger Action Month Important?
September is Hunger Action Month — an annual campaign dedicated to driving awareness and inspiring action to help end hunger in America, both at a national scale and in local communities.
In central and southern Arkansas,1 in 5 Arkansans are food-insecure, which means they struggle to find sufficient access to nutritious food. When it comes to children, 1 in 4 are facing hunger, and in some rural areas, it’s even higher. It’s startling numbers like this that rank Arkansas second in the nation for food insecurity.
What is food-insecurity?
Great question. Food insecurity describes a household’s inability to provide enough food for every person to live an active, healthy life. It’s one way that we can measure and assess the risk of hunger in our cities, towns and entire state.
Families facing hunger often have to make unthinkable choices – like buying food or paying the light bill, filling their pantry or filling their gas tanks. After the pandemic struck in 2020, these hard choices are a reality for many families who have never had to rely on a food bank or food pantry before.
Take Action Now!
Mobilizing your community through any of the following actions below will help shine a light on the many individuals that are facing impossible choices. As individuals, nonprofits, businesses and government entities, each of us have role to play in eliminating hunger.
- “Go Orange” by changing your profile picture frame! Click on your profile picture, tap the camera icon if you’re on mobile or “update” if you’re on a desktop computer. Search “Feeding America” and select one of our frames!
- Learn about hunger in your community: Visit MaptheMealGap.org and check the interactive map to zoom in on your specific community.
- Use Your Voice! Through actions big and small, we all can take steps to move the needle on hunger. Visit FeedingAmericaAction.org for steps to become a local hunger advocate.
- Share information about Hunger Action Month with your social networks! Access our HAM 2021 Social Media Toolkit here.
- Sign up to volunteer and make a tangible difference in the lives of our neighbors facing hunger.
- Check out our 2021 Hunger Action Month Calendar to see all of the ways you can get involved!